CHARACTERS

GEORGE - A complex and emotional Jack Russell Terrier (otherwise known as 'The Sickbag' by Simon*) adopted from Battersea Dogs home by:-

PHILIPPA - (or 'Pips' to George), late 30's, single, lives in Islington, works as a P.A. for:-

SIMON* - Director of the company, late 30's. Otherwise known as 'The Tosser' by George.

FREDDIE - West Highland Terrier, George's best friend and owned by:-

TERRY - who lives nearby

RUTHIE FIELDS - Cairn Terrier who is walked in the neighbouring gardens by her owner:-

ELLIOT - widower, late 70's, American


Following on from last week's episode...


Monday

Hundred and Eight


I don't believe you Pips, no I don't. The Royal Academy would perfectly well allow me in to see an exhibition but you don't want to take me because you think I have no cultural appreciation. That's the truth. Your phone is ringing Pips. Your phone's ringing!
'Hi Abbie. Are you out? How was it?....... Yeah George and I are in Green Park/'
We're walking through the daffodils, we're walking through the daffodils..
'so we're not far away. We'll be there in five minutes........ Really? Oh OK well we'll see you in there then. See you in a minute. Bye'. OK George it's time to head back. It's my turn to see the exhibition now. Gosh, spring is coming. I thought it was supposed to rain today'.
Don't change the subject Pips. For your information you are not the only one who can appreciate art. In this particular case I have a fine appreciation of all flowers, including sunflowers, and in fact I may well appreciate flowers more than you do in some respects, if you think about it.
'I'm so pleased we're going to have longer evenings from now on. What a relief after that winter'.
And I have a great appreciation of the countryside which is not something you are aware of as you have never taken me out into it. But I like nothing more than a row of old trees, I really do. And a field full of corn is terrific fun to play in. You are probably wondering how I even know this but Rupert's parents, Colonel and Mrs Wilton, lived in the country and when we drove out in the Freelander to visit them we used to go for walks in the fields nearby, so that's how I know. So I am pretty sure that I would appreciate Van Gogh's work more than you in many ways actually.
'Promise me you'll behave while Abbie's looking after you and I'll try not to be too long'.
On top of all that I understand how it feels to struggle with talents that remain unrecognised as in my artistic flair for such projects as my 'Snow Garden' which I created a while ago now, or unappreciated as in my stationery management skills which were wasted on Simon. So you see Vince and I have many things in common - a love of the countryside as well as shared experience. So even though we are separated by time and space you could say we have a spiritual connection.
'And you are a very lucky boy George'.
You could call it a sort of cosmic empathy if you like.
'Abbie is taking you to tea at Richoux'.
Richoux?!
'How about that?'
But that's terrific! 'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we/ hey Pips! Did you just hear what I said? I said 'Ear we go, ear we go, ear we go'! It just came out! It did! Isn't that fabulous? Vince and I are connected! I told you didn't I? I told you! So you see I don't feel that you will have a greater understanding of the exhibition than I would. No I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment