CHARACTERS

GEORGE - A complex and emotional Jack Russell Terrier (otherwise known as 'The Sickbag' by Simon*) adopted from Battersea Dogs home by:-

PHILIPPA - (or 'Pips' to George), late 30's, single, lives in Islington, works as a P.A. for:-

SIMON* - Director of the company, late 30's. Otherwise known as 'The Tosser' by George.

FREDDIE - West Highland Terrier, George's best friend and owned by:-

TERRY - who lives nearby

RUTHIE FIELDS - Cairn Terrier who is walked in the neighbouring gardens by her owner:-

ELLIOT - widower, late 70's, American


Following on from last week's episode...


Wednesday

Eighty Four

I messed up Freddie I messed up! I messed up!
‘Calm down George. You forgot to order some plastic folders, that’s all’.
I didn’t forget Freddie. I didn’t even notice we had run out of them. I cannot believe myself.
‘OK well whatever the reason it was only a few plastic folders’.
They come in packs of a hundred Freddie.
‘Right. Well don’t worry about it too much George’.
But this is the sort of thing that happens if you don’t pay attention to stationery. Supplies run down very quickly you see? Managing a stationery cupboard is not as easy as it may seem Freddie.
‘I am beginning to understand that’.
It is extremely complicated and demands great attention to detail which is where I slipped up.
‘With all due respect to your job George, a few plastic folders here or there/’
But they weren’t here or there Freddie! That was the problem.
‘OK, but in the overall scheme of things, when you look at the bigger picture, taking issues like global warming into account, being short of a few plastic folders is inconvenient but it is not the end of the world. Which is not to say that they aren’t important’.
Do you think there is something wrong with my attitude towards stationery?
‘In what way?’
Simon said to Pips that there was something dodgy about me and stationery but as you know Freddie, I feel it is my calling. Although I am now questioning it since I messed up.
‘You made a little mistake George. We all do that sometimes’.
Well the thing is there is one other slight thing.
‘What do you mean?’
There are also too many of certain items in stock.
‘Like what?’
Tippex for example. I was aware of it but/
‘How much Tippex is too much?’
A hundred bottles.
‘A HUNDRED BOTTLES?!!’
Like I said Freddie, managing a stationery cupboard is very complicated.
‘Well stop ordering Tippex George, for a start’.
The problem is that Nadine is very fond of it. I do not like to blame anyone but I have to say that in this particular case I have often told her that we have enough of it but she does not listen. Although it is true that it is better to over-order than under-order actually.
‘All right George, forget about the Tippex but have you ordered plenty of the folders now?’
Pips did. She was very cross and told Nadine to order some immediately.
‘So when will they be delivered?’
They arrived on Friday.
‘So they’ve already come in? Then why all the fuss?’
The problem is that I have lost confidence in my stationery ordering abilities.
‘George pull yourself together. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes’.
But it is my job Freddie.
‘Well I am sure Simon screws up in his job occasionally too’.
No he doesn’t because he doesn’t do anything apart from make a few phone calls and go to the occasional meeting which is why he has nothing better to do than criticise what everyone else does.
‘Has he ever been responsible for office supplies?’
I don’t think so although I have never asked him actually.
‘I think perhaps you should explain to him what your job involves on a daily basis so that he can understand exactly what managing a stationery cupboard involves. In that way he will appreciate the problems you face and also hopefully understand a little better your contribution to the company’.
Do you think he will listen?
‘He may not George but at least you will feel better for having told him’.
You are right Freddie. That is a super idea. I will do that.
‘Just remain professional George’.
You needn’t worry in that department Freddie.
‘Good’.

No comments:

Post a Comment